Shadowhunters use runes to help them with different tasks. Runes may not be drawn on anyone other than a Shadowhunter or they are at chance of becoming a Forsaken. Runes are used for almost occasion and always used for when Shadowhunters go demon hunting.
Different kinds of runes:
- Iratze: the iratze is a healing rune. It is often partially drawn by Shadowhunters before going to battle to allow them to quickly finish it and heal themselves.
- Fearless: the fearless rune was created by Clary. It makes the user afraid of nothing.
- Mendelin: the mendelin rune grants invisibility. It casts a glamour over the person who wears it and allows them to hide from mundanes and, in some cases, demons.
- Alliance: One of the Runes that Clary created that was used on the Nephilim and Downworlder army during the battle against Valentine in Idris. It's shaped like a simple yet complex tie of knot.
- Open: a simple rune Clary uses to open various things throughout the series.
- The Mark of Cain: If someone tries to harm the person with the mark of Cain, he or she will be harmed by a power seven times stronger than the one used to harm the person with the Mark of Cain.
- Clairvoyant Sight
- Parabatai: A rune that partners two Shadowhunters together, so they can draw on each other's strength
- Voyance: A "permanent" rune given to a Shadowhunter at a young age on the back of the hand to aid in steadiness. However, it fades if/when Nephilim drinks Lilith's blood.
- Rune of Quietude: This rune is used by the Silent Brothers to silence themselves. It is placed on the back of the neck. Valentine places this rune upon Clary in City of Glass, silencing her while he summons Raziel.
- Tracking Runes: Often used by the Clave to track down criminals. With a possession of the person it is possible to follow them. It can also be used to see what the person being tracked is seeing.
- Binding Rune: Is used on criminals to bind their hands. It can create a ring of fire-like handcuffs around their wrists. Other binding runes can prevent one's legs from supporting their weight.
- Enkeli: Is also called an angelic power rune. They are often placed on weapons Shadowhunters used to give them angelic power. This washes away all demonic power from the object and prevents demons stabbed by the weapons from healing.
- Fire Rune: Is used to create fire.
- Acid Rune: Can burn away any surface like acid touched it.
- Necromancy Rune: This rune, when placed on a deceased Shadowunter, brings them back to life. It is not permanent and will fade over time, but it allows them to be talked to for a time. However, their soul had been forcefully pulled back to the world of the living. That combined with any pain their injuries would have caused them would cause them immense pain and would make it nearly impossible to speak. When the rune is destroyed they die once again.